Pay it Forward Initiative
SUNY Empire State College will be hosting a school supply drive to support the Pencils and Paper Project for the month of August for the Jewish Family Service of Rochester. The mission of Pencils & Paper serves the educational and creative needs of children in the Greater Rochester Area by providing free school supplies to teachers at high poverty schools.
Please stop by our SUNY Empire location in Rochester to drop off your supplies. Upon drop off, we’d love it if you could tag @SUNYEmpire on Instagram with the hashtag #PayItForward.
The collection box is in the main lobby by the entrance to room 159. Please contact Timothy Cosgriff if you have any questions.
Please join fellow students, alumni, faculty and staff on Wednesday, September 18th at 3:00 PM in the 3rd Floor Multipurpose Room for SUNY’s Got Your Back at the college’s Manhattan location.
Along with President Jim Malatras, we will be assembling SUNY’s Got Your Back bags for victims and survivors of violence across the State of New York. Whether you can join us for four hours or for one, we’d love to have you support this great cause.
SUNY’s Got Your Back at ESC is in collaboration with the Office of Alumni and Student Relations and the Pay it Forward Initiative.
Philanthropy (def.): “the giving of anything – time, money, experience, skills, networks – in any amount to create a better world.”
Mission Statement: The Pay it Forward Initiative at SUNY Empire is about inspiring, recognizing and encouraging students, alumni, faculty & staff to seek out imaginative ways to engage and give back to the college and the communities in which they live.
Ideas for Key Initiatives/Goals:
- Tell the story of what philanthropy is at SUNY Empire throughout all regional locations.
- Promote what the group does and highlight key initiatives at large student events throughout the year. (Examples: Residencies, STAC and Wellness Retreat)
- Promote events throughout the state that PIF student members are going to participate in and invite others to join (alumni, students, faculty & staff).
- Promote Initiative at Commencement through Class Gifts to keep alumni engaged and instill philanthropy to the college.
- Constantly educate students on how gifts are transforming their student experience
- Reinforce the importance of how philanthropy in local communities improves all lives
- Share opportunities on how to get involved and make a difference at the college
- Share opportunities on how to get involved and make a difference in their communities
- Invite other students to become active philanthropists each and every day and share their stories
- Partner with alumni who work in human services, not for profit fields to show the power of Empire philanthropy